Monday, October 16, 2006

Okay, that's it! I've had it! I can't stand it anymore! I'm going to jump off the roof! I'm going to quit! I'm burnt out, and I can't take it anymore. Give this job to someone else. I hate it! I hate it! Ihateit! I'm walking out right now!

Okay, no, I'm not. But still, this job sucks. And I have no problem putting this up on my blog.

See, the thing is, the people aren't bad to work for, it's the work itself that is awful. It's dull. It's monotonous. I'm a glorified data entry drone. It's mind numbing, spirit crushing, soul sucking work. Seriously, all I do is copy, paste and click several thousand times a day. My office-mate has carpal tunnel now. I already had it from another soul sucking job, but that's another story. Anyway, we're burnt out, we're tired, and we're working six days a week doing this, for at least 8 hours a day. I'm a little surprised no one has gone postal.

Now, it doesn't sound too bad, right? I mean, I enter meta-data into a Documentum Web Publisher. For at least 8 hours a day. Six days a week.

I'm dyin' here! Because it's been taking so much to get through this stuff, I've been worn out by the end of the day. Seriously, I just want it to end. We've just run through a huge block of files, and now we've got another project that has to be done this weekend, and I gotta tell you all, it's not going to happen. This is part of the reason why I haven't started The Brothers Karamozov yet. It's just so freakin' taxing.

So I'm going to force myself to find another job. I will have to actively look. Anyone in the New York City area, seriously, you've got a job opening? I'll do it. Shovelling shit? Fine. I'm there. Filing tax returns for drug dealers. That should be easy. I'll do it! I'll even flense your spleen! Swear to God! Help!

3 comments:

NYPinTA said...

I know how you feel. I deal with the DMV and auto insurance companies everyday. If it weren't for the fact that I can't think of anything else (that anyone would pay me for) I'd probably be out of here. But having to pay the rent is a great motivator to put up with a lot of monotony.

ctheokas said...

Surprised you haven't gone a little postal there nypinta.

TheWriteGirl said...

You can have my job if you want. Downtown, South Street Seaport. Hour and a quarter commute each way. I'm underpaid and overworked. Lately, many deadlines and much stress. It's not that the work itself is awful. It really isn't. It's just that it's not what I want to be doing and it's sucking all my creative and psychic energy out. On the upside, the health benefits can't be beat.