Thursday, February 22, 2007

I've been reading lately, and I recently finished J.G. Ballard's Cocaine Nights, which didn't really impress me as much as I wanted it to. It's the whole descent into... well, not madness, but adoration? Anyway, since Ballard wrote Crash and The Atrocity Exhibition, I was actually expecting more from him - more violence, more sex, more violent sex and sexy violence. I was expecting something that would make me queasy like Ichi the Killer made me queasy. But this didn't do it. So read Empire of the Sun, and read Crash, but I think it would safe to skip Cocaine.

On the other hand, I started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, and I had to stop. It's just too precious. I didn't buy the boy's voice at all, and he seemed too precocious for his own good and my gag reflex. But I feel kind of bad, because this is one of the first post-9/11 novels to deal with 9/11 in some direct fashion. I just wish it hadn't been treacly, or gooey like it is. And that's even before I got to the pages with the text that all ran together into big blocks of... well, text. At some point in the book - I looked ahead, but I didn't read ahead - the text starts to run into itself, until it because a big mass of black ink. I don't get this, but then I didn't read the section. The problem is, I was driven away by the rest of the story, so I never got that far.

I'll give Foer one thing: He at least gave it a shot. It just didn't work for me. Of course, I didn't like Everything is Illuminated either.

5 comments:

wa11z said...

Everything is Illuminated was beautiful. I think where the text runs together is where the plane hits the tower? I think I read that somewhere.

TheWriteGirl said...

Speaking of violence and queasy and all that, did you see Oldboy? If you did, what did you think of it?

ctheokas said...

Oldboy was one of the greatest films the year it came out. I love movies like that, like Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q, Sado, and so on.

wa11z said...

Oldboy is one of my favorite flicks. So is Ichi and pretty much anything by Takashi Miike. He is a madman.

fermicat said...

I wish I had something to add, but I haven't read any of these books. Mostly I read science fiction, both old and new.