Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Just to swing you guys around to my other blogs, they're back in business. So go look at them. The one for the movie even has a picture!

As for another post here, I'll have something soon for The Turn of the Screw. I was going to finish it this morning, but the train must have been running fast, or I was reading slow, and I didn't finish it. Perhaps tonight? I dunno.

I've also Netflixed myself recently. I took up their offer of two free weeks or whatever it was. Anyway, I already have a queue of nearly 350 movies, and I've rated nearly 2,000 movies, most of which suck. I never realized how much time I wasted in front of a movie or TV screen. And now I'm wasting a lot of time in front of a computer monitor. Is that a step forward? I don't know. I'll let someone else answer that.

The point is, I've already gone through six DVDs, and I've reviewed only one. I've been watching a lot of Takashi Miike's stuff, though tonight I'm going to watch The Glamorous Life of Sachiko Hanai, which I think is going to be a good time, because it's a Japanese Pink Movie, which means nudity and simulated sex. In this case, it's with George W. Bush's severed finger sometimes, so you know it's going to be... interesting.

Will I review all the movies I've skipped over? Probably not. I'll just say that Dead or Alive: Birds is rather lovely, Dead or Alive: Final makes sense in the context of the entire series, and the robot at the end is fucking awesome, especially its head. Gozu has its moments, and could have used a tighter editing, but overall it was a great movie. As for Terry Gilliam's Tideland, I'm not sure what to say except that the parts are better than the whole.

So, next time, a review of The Turn of the Screw, and perhaps of Sachiko. Who knows?

3 comments:

wa11z said...

Tideland seemed to me like he didn't finish it or forgot what he was trying to say while making it. Could've been a masterpiece but instead it fizzled.

ctheokas said...

I think that's a good reading of it, too. He opens the DVD with an explaination of how you should watch it, which to me means whatever he was trying to say - or whatever he was saying in the first place - never got across. Any which way you cut this, it was a mess.

TheWriteGirl said...

Netflix may become an obsession. Maybe that's a little strong. Maybe just a usurper of time. But it sure is fun. What was cool was that when I first got it, I was working for Columbia House, writing for their DVD club. So I came across all kinds of films I might not have heard of before. And the best part is, if you come across a real dog, you can just pull it out, stick it back in its little envelope and not feel bad.

My most recent discovery (okay, I'm really, lamely, behind the curve sometimes) is Dark City. How gorgeous and twisted and DARK. I loved it.