Sunday, February 08, 2009

So, yesterday, Saturday, the 7th day of February, 2009, was a day that I won't forget, but also of which I have a hazy memory. Because on that day, I met Takashi Miike, one of the greatest living filmmakers ever, and perhaps the most influential filmmaker I have ever seen. When I got my picture taken with him, he was very gracious, and he shook my hand twice. TWICE!!! He doesn't speak English, so all I said was "Thank you." Twice. 

He's in the city to hype his latest flick, Yatterman. He dropped by the Japan Society, and they sold tickets, and I got a pair, so I went to hear him speak. And I asked a question - something about his process of directing - and he answered sincerely, and happily, and made a few jokes (through a translator, of course). Afterwards, there was a reception, and he talked to fans (or, they talked at him, and he nodded along). And then I got this:



DSC01312

4 comments:

NYPinTA said...

What's with the hand?

Even still, cool that you got to meet him!

fermicat said...

So that's what you look like! And all along, I had pictured you as a methed-out cat.

ctheokas said...

The hand? Well, I was so overwhelmed by Miike's pure awesome-ness (in the classical and modern sense of the word), that I got a little loopy.

Jenn said...

is that you or Andrew Dice Clay? Kidding of course.