Sunday, December 24, 2006

It's Christmas Eve, and I'm with my parents. Well, I'm with one half of my parents. Seeing as I'm at the ass end of Generation X, it's only appropriate that I am the child of divorce. So I'm with my mom this year. Actually, I think this is the way it's going to be from now on. Thanksgiving with Dad, Christmas with Mom, and whatever in between.

I have been reading, but it's not been Brothers. In fact, the less I read of it, the more I like saying I'm reading it. Have to admit, it impresses people.

But that's not to say I haven't been reading. I recently finished Sight for Sore Eyes by Ruth Rendell. Not a great book for her, but better than most. The story was kind of flabby, you could tell who was going to die before they bit it, and the characters were more caricatures, but what the hell. Now, I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Don't know how long it'll take to read that.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to visit other family, and I'll do what I can to read on with Brothers. Wish me luck. And Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

TheWriteGirl said...

Somehow the Brothers don't seem like holiday company. I'd keep it stashed in your backpack or your bookcase or wherever it's been hiding out. How about some nice John LeCarre? A tasty Christmas morsel with just the right amount of nihilism and paranoia.

I invited my ex for dinner tomorrow. In a serendipitous turn of events, he has become a decent friend. He makes a much better ex-husband than he did a regular one. Now I can like him for the reasons I did originally without all that bad, crazy stuff getting in the way.

I'm tellin' ya, it's a weird, unpredictable world. Shit happens that you absolutely can't anticipate. (That's one of the recurring themes in my writing.)

wa11z said...

Ray Bradbury is always good for the holidays as well. Merry Christmas!

fermicat said...

Merry Christmas! I hope it was a good one!